Location: St. Paul, MN
Hiring Manager: Editor-in-Chief
West Academic, formerly part of Thomson Reuters, is now its own company! Finding ourselves “newly nimble” we are looking for people to help us transform the legal education industry by bringing new technology and products to market.
West Academic is the leading provider of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US. We are a growth oriented organization, dedicated to providing our customers with the best available legal education materials.
Why not join a company who offers the excitement and freedom of a startup paired with the security and market recognition of a 100 year old company! That’s us, the 100-year-old startup who’s going places.
We are currently seeking an Acquisitions Editor who will assist in acquiring new publications and developing new publications for the Law School market, arranging for revisions of existing titles, ensuring timely manuscript delivery, coordinating production of titles under contract and marketing forthcoming publications.
- Acquire new products: solicit manuscripts, review proposals, perform market research, negotiate contracts for products developed for the law school and higher education markets. (20%)
- Assist authors and editorial team in development of manuscripts and design features for products aimed at the law school market. (30%)
- With editorial team, ensure updates of backlist of approximately 1000 published titles through supplementation and timely publication of new editions. (15%)
- Ensure manuscripts are received and produced consistent with publishing plan objectives by maintaining constant communication with authors and production staff both prior to and during manuscript production. (15%)
- Work with authors and marketing team on promotional pieces for law school products. (10%)
- Educate Account Managers on features and attributes of products. (10%)
Required Skills and Experience
- JD required
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, high level of professionalism and poise required
- Strong legal research, writing and analytical skills
- Exceptional editorial judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to interpret, analyze, organize and communicate complex legal material
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with all contacts, both in and outside West Academic
- Interest in legal academia and/or academic technology a plus
- Must be able to perform well both independently and in a team setting
- Some travel required (25-30% during academic year)
Experience in legal education, academic publishing, editorial or related business experience preferred but not required
Email your cover letter and resume