Location: St. Paul, MN
Hiring Manager: Accounting Manager
West Academic, formerly part of Thomson Reuters, is now its own company! Finding ourselves “newly nimble” we are looking for people to help us transform the legal education industry by bringing new technology and products to market.
West Academic is the leading provider of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US. We are a growth oriented organization, dedicated to providing our customers with the best available legal education materials.
Why not join a company who offers the excitement and freedom of a startup paired with the security and market recognition of a 100 year old company! That’s us, the 100-year-old startup who’s going places.
We have an opening for a General Accountant to join our Accounting team. The General Accountant is responsible for performing a wide variety of accounting related tasks and analysis on inventory, COGS, fixed assets, and other assigned accounts. This role is responsible for ensuring sales and use tax returns are filed timely and accurately by a third party and is responsible to researching sales tax laws when questions arise. This role is responsible for general ledger accounting, account reconciliations, month-end close, annual planning, audit, and financial reporting. Additionally, this position will work closely with business partners to create processes and procedures to ensure timely preparation and analysis of financial statements.
- Responsible for inventory and COGS accounting, including analysis, reporting, account reconciling, and partnering with others to ensure performance meets expectations
- Responsible for fixed assets and capitalized labor, including recording, reporting, analysis, and providing staff training on company policies and procedures
- Responsible for sales and use tax, including tax filings, researching sales tax laws, and partnering with others to ensure compliance
- Responsible for posting and analysis of payroll, payroll taxes, and benefits
- Assist in month-end close, including accruals, analysis, account reconciliations, allocations, and journal entry posting
- Participate in planning/forecasting cycles for all assigned accounts
- Prepare various monthly and periodic management and compliance reports
- Ensure accuracy of financial statements in accordance with GAAP and compliance with internal policies
- Supports internal and external information requests, including banking, tax, and audit
- Lead or participate in process improvements, department projects, or system enhancements
- Assist in developing, documenting and updating policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in general ledger accounting
- Experience with ERP software (NetSuite preferred)
- Advanced Excel skills in addition to experience with PowerPoint and Word
- Knowledge of balance sheet, cash flow, profit and loss accounting and reporting, and GAAP requirements
- Ability to be an effective problem solver with strong investigative and analytical skills
- Must take initiative, be self-motivated, be dependable with a positive, energetic approach
- Independently driven with the ability to work as part of a team
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy with ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with employees of all levels within the organization
- Proven ability to effectively manage time, prioritize workload, and handle multiple tasks
- Ability to maintain a professional manner and adapt in a in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Desire to grow and expand abilities
Email your cover letter and resume