Location: St. Paul, MN or Remote
Hiring Manager: CTO
West Academic is the leading provider of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US in both print and digital media formats. West Academic provides its products under the West Academic Publishing, Foundation Press and Gilbert imprints and the AdaptiBar brand. We are a growth oriented organization, dedicated to providing our customers with the best available legal education materials. We are looking for people to help us transform the legal education industry by bringing new technology and products to market.
We currently have opening for Lead SW Engineer. The Lead Software Engineer is responsible for leading development efforts and resources within the Technology group. Meet with Product Managers and business stakeholders to determine technology requirements and priorities. Ensure development team is working to meet deadlines. Provide work direction and mentoring to the development team.
- Lead development of software tools & research the use of third party tools to enable efficient operations.
- Lead in analyzing applications & database performance to tune the application & database infrastructure.
- Mentor software engineers in design & coding best practices in individual & group settings
- Produce & maintain detailed technical & business documentation for assigned tasks & projects
- Acquire & maintain additional technical skills for professional development
- Guide performance & career development for developers
- Guide application releases following established documentation & procedures.
- Assist the CTO in the hiring process by screening, reviewing, interviewing candidates
- Serve as Scrum Master for the team, managing the application development life-cycle within an Agile software development environment.
- Communicate project status to senior staff & internal customers on a regular basis
Analysis & Design
- In the lead software engineer role, organize & guide code & design reviews, unit testing, stability testing, product documentation, & production support meetings.
- Coordinate with business users to determine requirements & designs.Translate these into technical design artifacts.
- Provide project development estimates & timelines.
- Maintain & add new features for a number of our .NET website using Visual Studio. Work with front end technologies to build robust UI - using Angular, Knockout, JQuery, and CSS.
- Create new stored procedures & TSQL queries using SQL Server for ADO.NET components
- Automate deploy & build processes using Azure DevOps build pipelines.
- Enhance faceted search functionality using MarkLogic.
- Build secure REST endpoints to interface with external sites/applications.
- Create unit tests using the NUnit testing framework to ensure quality within the code base.
- Handle & delegate support requests submitted by business partners & support teams through TFS and email.
- Collaborate with other departments in troubleshooting & correcting system configuration problems
- Guide incident & change requests for issues that affect supported applications & infrastructure in all environments
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related software technology field, or demonstrated job experience equating to a Bachelors Degree
- 7+ years software development related experience
- Previous experience mentoring/supervising other software engineers
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical users.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading groups of developers using agile development practices.
- Experience managing software projects from gathering requirements through release planning and deployments
- Strong leadership, project management skills, time management and problem solving skills.
- Microsoft .NET technologies (ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Core, C#, EntityFramework)
- Experience with front-end web design (HTML, CSS)
- Web Services, REST, SOAP, JSON, WCF
- Azure DevOps
- Third Party Unit test tools, including: MSTest, NUnit, JSUnit
- SQL (Oracle, SQL Server)
- Development with MarkLogic or an equivalent XML/XQuery/NoSQL based database preferred.
- Mobile application development in iOS (Swift, Objective-C) and/or Android (Kotlin, Java) platforms preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Email your cover letter and resume