Location: Chicago, IL
Hiring Manager: Director, Sales & Account Mgmt
West Academic is the leading publisher of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US. West Academic provides its products under the West Academic Publishing, Foundation Press and Gilbert imprints. We are a growth-oriented organization, dedicated to providing our current and prospective customers with the best legal education materials available. We are currently seeking candidates for the position of Account Manager.
The Account Manager is a home office-based position and is responsible for securing new law school faculty adoptions of West Academic products and retaining existing adoptions. The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of the consultative sales approach and is expected to develop a deep knowledge of West Academic products and the legal education market. The Account Manager will be based in the Chicago, IL metropolitan area and should be located within 30 miles of either major Chicago airport. Candidates must be capable of extensive travel within the assigned territory, which includes Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and portions of Missouri and Ohio.
- Increasing revenue and facilitating adoption of West Academic products in the law school market within assigned territory.
- Regional travel includes visits to law school faculty to promote West Academic products, administrative personnel to update school information, and bookstores to promote West Academic products and consult on managing inventory. Account Managers maintain relationships with these professors and other contacts throughout the year.
- Represent West Academic at conventions, conferences, and sales meetings.
- Gather information and report to West Academic home office on competing imprints, potential authors, curriculum changes, trends in legal education and changes in the law school market.
- In-office account management time involves answering phone calls and e-mails, maintaining product and catalog knowledge, gathering and managing adoption data, writing trip reports following school visits, and other special projects to maximize adoption opportunities within territory.
- Working closely with acquisitions editors and marketing team to help strategically target marketing messages and uncover acquisitions opportunities.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating database of faculty information within assigned territory.
- Achieve assigned sales goal while working within expense budget
Required Skills and Experience
- J.D. (law degree) required
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Professional demeanor and appearance
- Strong Presentation Skills
- Valid driver's license
- Working knowledge of law school curriculum
- Ability to be a self-starter with a high level of motivation
- Effective time management skills
- Efficient database management skills
- Proficient in MS Office, NetSuite or other CMS tool(s), and general internet applications
- Ability to interpret market needs and communicate effectively with other parts of the business
- Ability to operate effectively in both a home office and law school environment
- Frequent overnight travel required
- Direct sales experience and knowledge of academic adoption concepts and methods and other academic publishing sales experience preferred but not essential
Email your cover letter and resume