Location: St. Paul, MN
Hiring Manager: Production Manager
West Academic, formerly part of Thomson Reuters, is now its own company! Finding ourselves “newly nimble” we are looking for people to help us transform the legal education industry by bringing new technology and products to market.
West Academic is the leading provider of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US. We are a growth oriented organization, dedicated to providing our customers with the best available legal education materials.
Why not join a company who offers the excitement and freedom of a startup paired with the security and market recognition of a 100 year old company! That’s us, the 100-year-old startup who’s going places.
We have an immediate opening in our Production team for a Publishing Specialist Intern. This role will work with the publishing production and operations teams responsible for composing content for law school textbooks and study aids for distribution in print and electronic formats. The job may include a variety of tasks such as, formatting and entering corrections in electronic manuscripts, processing “camera-ready files for printing, and other miscellaneous tasks. This is a part-time position and we would be able to work around your class schedule. The working hours would be 20/week now until the summer when hours would move to 40 hours/week.
- Work with team, authors, and editorial staff to process raw manuscripts to production output (both print and digital);
- Independently prioritize workload to meet scheduled dates;
- Work collectively with teammates to meet scheduled dates;
- Manage project work; taking general direction, organizing information, formulating necessary action steps and follow-through to completion.
- Contribute valuable ideas and suggestions for process/workflow improvements;
- Adapt existing procedures to overcome roadblocks.
Individual and Team Skills
- Demonstrate ability to work across teams to provide production assistance or expertise needed to meet team and department goals;
- Initiate needed action without waiting for directions
Required Skills and Experience
- Looking for an individual in process of pursuing undergraduate Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong or expert-level Word experience a must;
- Deadline driven. Ability to prioritize and stay focused while dealing with multiple assignments and tasks;
- Demonstrated process, product, and systems knowledge, teamwork and technical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English and communication skills, including composition/grammar, vocabulary, spelling and punctuation skills with the ability to communicate effectively;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong learning agility. Able to learn quickly and apply knowledge to increasingly complex and changing work;
- Technical aptitude for computer applications and systems such as word processing and file management applications;
- Ability to work with team members, contacts from other teams, departments effectively;
- Experience in content composition and production, or related experience a huge plus;
- Experience or familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro) a plus;
U.S. legal system familiarity (cases and statutes) a plus
Email your cover letter and resume