Location: St. Paul, MN
Hiring Manager: CFO
Rooted in 100 years of history, West Academic is the leading provider of casebooks, study aids and other legal education materials in the US in both print and digital media formats. We are a growth oriented organization, dedicated to providing our customers with the best available legal education materials. We are looking for people to help us transform the legal education industry by bringing new technology and products to market.
We currently have an opening for a Director of Accounting & Finance. This role is responsible for overseeing the general accounting and financial reporting functions including maintaining accounting principles and internal controls, financial planning and forecasting, cash management including A/R and A/P, and business decision support. This position also addresses a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, year-end audit preparation, financial systems, and treasury functions. This position supervises a variety of accounting and finance staff positions.
- Manage the activities of general accounting and financial functions by establishing process, policies, and procedures in compliance with US GAAP.Implement and maintain systems to ensure internal controls with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Ensure the creation of accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial reporting with insightful variance analysis.Provide reporting to internal and external customers including management, audit, tax, and banking partners.Coordinate work relating to external audits providing supporting materials and explanations.
- Maintains sufficient funds by forecasting cash requirements, managing A/R and A/P policies, and partnering with the CFO on debt requirements.
- Managing the annual budgeting process by establishing appropriate guidelines and targets while collaborating with department leaders to define and validate key assumptions,
- Provide financial analysis, business modeling and decision support to senior executives and operating managers that enables performance monitoring of the business. Prepare business cases for on major investments.
- Ensure that all required federal, state, and local financial reports are filed related to State Sales and Use Tax, Payroll and Unemployment taxes and census data.
- Lead, develop and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the functional areas as well as provide career development guidance and opportunities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA preferred
- 10 years of finance/accounting experience
- 5 years of supervisory experience in an accounting/finance operations role
- Experience with complex integrated accounting systems (NetSuite preferred)
- Comprehensive knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls, and financial reporting required
- Superior organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills and able to motivate associates and collaborate effectively across departmental functions
- Ability to be an effective problem solver and strategic thinker with strong investigative and analytical skills
- Drive to improve process efficiency leveraging automation (Power BI experience desired)
- Ability to maintain in a professional and confidential manner while working under pressure
Job Conditions: Normal office conditions; currently working remote through end of June
Equal Opportunity Employer: We encourage Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran candidates to apply. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Email your cover letter and resume